API login and authentication failure and log in error for Twitter on BB and iPhone
September 6, 2010 Leave a Comment
Are you getting an API login error messages and authentication failure with Twitter? You’re not the only one, and nothing wrong with your twitter account, and the answer is very simple.
Twitter have changed the login method for mobile devices starting Sept 1; on the iPhone, iTouch, Android, BB, iPad starting Sep 1st. Twitter used to allow 3rd party applicatios to store username and password externally, but they changed that policy, all info will remain with twitter all the time. Applications had plenty of time to adjust, and most work just fine. My tough luck got me Twitterific and the BB’s twitter T, one of the few that didn’t work.
- If you try to login, it won’t let you. You’ll get the message in the pic above.
- Every application has to be authorized by you. Problem is the settings tab doesn’t have any applications to approve anyway, even if you wanted to.
After spending a couple of hours searching and reading, I got to the solution:
- All you have to do is update the applications. It works on all Apple products and BB.
- Problem is the App store will tell you everything is up to date, so you will have to go around it. What you do on the iPod and iPad is just delete whatever twitter application you’re using, then just install it again from the App store. That’s it.
- As for the BB, it’s takes just a little bit longer. But really, all you have to do is download the twitter application again, using the browser on your BB. Install it, it’ll ask you if it’s OK to replace the old version. Click OK, restart the phone, and your done.
- The same principle should apply to Android phones, but I wouldn’t know, I don’t have an Android.
I got everything to work again, but it did give me a much un-needed headache before I figured it out. Here’s Twitter’s support page, it explains the problem, but doesn’t help much with the solution. Problem name is OAuth or something terrible like that. I’m just glad everything works again.
Now if only someone can tell me where the hell is the New Lulu Hyper market is? Tweet me here. I really want to go there!