VIVA invited us for a bloggers night out to chat and mingle. We were invited to Upper Crust Pizzeria, the new Pizza place fresh in from Boston. It’s in the Village in Abu Al-Hassaniya area, on Fahaheel Express way Exit 208.
VIVA had a special guest for us, comedian Fahad Al-Butairi, who flew in from Saudi especially for them. Check my review [here] of the last comedy night I attended with Al-Butairi, last May. The guy is so hilarious, you shouldn’t miss any of his shows.
I want to thank VIVA for tonight. Upper Crust has been open for a few weeks now, and I haven’t had the chance to try it yet. Thanks to their invitation, I got to try everything on the menu. Now here is the food review (or at least my opinion) of Upper Crust:
- Bruschetta: Tomato, Mushroom, and grilled veggies. These are made with fresh ingredients but tasted a little bland, and I had to salt them and drizzle some Balsamic vinegar on them.
- Salads: Caesar salad and Feta\strawberry salad. I don’t like Caesar salads in general, and this salad was no different. The Feta salad, on the other hand, was more delicious, with that balsamic dressing and fresh strawberries.
- Spinach Squares: They’re like square frittatas or a thick quiche, and tasted good.
- Baked Lasagna: A starter dish that tasted good, but I guess every good restaurant serves a good lasagna.
- Anti Pasto.
- Teriyaki wings and Buffalo wings: Both were a bit dry and hard.
- 5-6 types of pizza: BBQ chicken (pictured here), Swellelsley (pepperoni, chili, arabiata sauce and olive oil-I highly recommend this one, it’s the deep red pizza in the pics here), Patata Rossa (also a good pizza), Spinach Leaf, Roasted Veggie, Hawaiian, Garden Veggie, White Spinach (I think), and Pesto.
- Nutella Calzone, with sliced strawberries and bananas on the side: I felt the calzone was a little hard and had too much pie, but we ate all the calzones on our table, and ordered extras. So I guess they were that good.
- Strawberry ice cream and chocolate ice cream: I don’t know if these were home-made, but they tasted very nice.
I don’t feel tonight was the best time to review this restaurant. The food was served in huge plates, and distributed by the waiters to the tables. I have to go again and order my own individual food to make an accurate review.
Seeing as how much I liked their Swellesley pizza and how much the Nutella calzone was loved; I will definitely be going there for a second tasting, and very soon. I don’t know if I should go as soon as tomorrow, but that Swellesley pizza is playing on my taste buds, and playing hard.
Special thanks go to Mr. Mohammad Yaqoub and Ms. May Al-Subaiei from VIVA for inviting us, and for always been so friendly and sweet. And also to Ms. Lujain Al-Fulaij from Upper Crusts’ social media group, wishing you good luck with this new place.